Getting to know your neighbours is the first step in “Knowing Your Neighbourhood.”
It improves security in your area.
It helps solve service delivery problems.
It builds a sense of community.
It’s even fun!
- introduce yourself to the other people living in your block and greet them when you pass them on the street
- welcome new residents, including students, many of whom are living far away from their families and feeling overwhelmed by the challenges posed by university
- create or join a WhatsApp group in your street, for sharing information on security and service delivery problems (e-mail us if you want to find out if there if a WhatsApp group already exists in your street)
- keep your pavement clean (including sweeping up leaves in the gutter) – and don’t litter when you’re walking
- report broken streetlights, leaking pipes, collapsed stormwater drains and potholes to the City Council (see our “Complaints” page for the relevant numbers)
- don’t party too loud, too long and too often
- start using the Kingston Frost Park